Monday, January 14, 2013

An Evening with Diane

First off, I'd like to the announce the winner for the Bridal Bazaar event, taking place at the 78th Street Studios this weekend. *drumroll, please* As chosen by Random.org, the winner is comment #5, Crystal from Eat Drink Cleveland. Crystal, please email me at cleshopaholic@gmail.com so I may send you instructions on receiving your ticket!! 

This past Thursday, I had the privilege of attending a talk at the Cleveland Clinic, featuring the one and only, the legendary Diane Von Furstenberg. Most famous for the iconic wrap dress, DVF has been designing women's clothing since 1970.



When I first received the invite to the event, I expected DVF to mainly talk about her career, and how she made her way through the world of fashion.



Boy was I wrong.  What I came away with was a new appreciation for this incredible woman, who is so much more than just a fashion designer. A champion of the arts, DVF is also an advocate for women's empowerment. She is also incredibly warm, and charming, and so so funny!!

Some of my favorite quotes from the nights:

Do not be afraid of your own strength. Fear is not an option.

I wanted to be the woman I became. I wanted to empower myself. And now I want to empower other women. You can be the woman you want to be. 

The most important relationship in life is the one you have with yourself.



I think part of her appeal for me is her focus on independence. It reminds me of advice that my mother always gave me growing up: always be able to stand on your own two feet. I left the event feeling incredibly inspired- While I may not be about to conquer the world of fashion, I'm ready to take on my personal and professional challenges, hopefully with poise, grace, and of course, STYLE!!




2 comments:

Allison M. said...

I am still so impressed by her and am so happy I could attend.

Crystal @EatDrinkClev said...

Yippee! Just sent you an email