Thursday, June 25, 2015

Summer Reads and Podcasts

Summer TV sucks. This is the time of year when Nick and I get sucked into Netflix marathons. This year I've been trying to read more and following my obsession with Serial earlier this year, I've also been trying to listen to more podcasts.

I just finished two books this week, one fun and one a little educational.


First up, Leave Your Mark by Aliza Licht. Aliza is the voice behind DKNY PR GIRL-- an incredibly popular twitter account, with over 500,000 followers. Aliza's book is an advice book, told through her own experiences and what she's learned through them. The book is split into four parts-- the first two discuss career and the last two are focussed on personal branding. The book is a quick read, and while its interesting to learn how she got to where she is, the advice itself is probably best suited for someone who either hasn't started their career or is in their early stages. If you're in your 30s like I am, and/or have hit your stride in your career, you may or may not get a whole lot out of this.
In the VERY fun category, The Andy Cohen Diaries is a good old-fashioned diary chronicling a year in Andy Cohen's life. But Andy Cohen being Andy Cohen, its a really interesting life. Andy is BFF's with Sara Jessica Parker and Mark Consuelos and Kelly Ripa (among many others). He's also the boss of all the Real Housewives, and between the anecdotes from the set of Watch What Happens Live, and his adoption of his adorable pup Wacha, I'm convinced that he and I are destined to be best friends too. I really enjoyed this book-- it definitely lends itself to lazy days on a beach.


And finally, in the podcast category, I recently discovered Tom and Lorenzo's Pop Style Opinionfest. This is such a fun, gossipy podcast that really feels like you're just hanging out with friends. You might even laugh out loud. Lots of pop culture and judging. And as Andy Cohen says, when is watching (or in this case listening) and judging not fun?


So, if you're looking for some light reading or listening this summer, I hope I've given you some options you enjoy!


1 comment:

Cheryl @CJAllDressedUp said...

Excellent suggestions, I will have to listen to that podcast on my next road trip! And I adore Andy Cohen, who doesn't, right?