Monday, August 17, 2015

CLE Eats: Alley Cat

My obsession with oysters is well documented. Naturally, Nick and I just HAD to go try out Alley Cat with our friends Dave and Jessi (Jessi, like me is similarly obsessed with oysters). Located on the east bank of the Flats, Alley Cat is part of the Flats revival. The restaurant is located right on the boardwalk, and there were plenty of people docking their boats and walking in for dinner. The restaurant has huge garage doors, so when they are open, you feel like you're outside, even when you're actually indoors. There are also two outdoor patios, so in short, lots of room to sit. That said, I still recommend reservations!  The day we went, the restaurant was less than a week old, so the slight service issues were to be expected. The food however, was impeccable (with one exception). Between the four of us, we ordered the following:

Clam Chowder: probably the best clam chowder I've ever tasted
Ceviche: absolutely delicious
Beef Tartare: sadly this was disappointing 
Peel-N-Eat Shrimp: this was a warm dish, served in a buttery sauce-- so, so good
Shrimp Stuffed Peppers: spicy! but I couldn't stop eating it. It burned so good!
A dozen oysters: we ordered the Standish Shore, Wianno and Misty Point. The Misty Point were my favorite
Grilled Octopus: smoky and delicious
Lobster roll: Now, its been a few years since I ate one in New England, but this was v. good
Chili Braised Beef: I didn't try this one, but Dave really liked it
Rice Custard Creme Brûlée: This has the texture of rice pudding, NOT creme brûlée, so adjust expectations accordingly

There were cocktails and wine involved (naturally), and the four of us basically had to be wheeled out since we ate SO. MUCH.

Overall, the food was really good, and I know the service will get better with time and experience. With the amazing lakeside views and fun atmosphere, I know I will be back very very soon!








No comments: