Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Summer Reads: Exploring the world of the Super Rich


I have been reading a LOT lately. Nick and I have been spending a lot of evenings hanging out on our front porch with a glass of wine, and I've been using the lull in TV season to catch up on some fun reading. My taste in books leans toward fiction, although I do reach for the occasional biography or fashion book here and there. One of my favorite books this summer is actually a sequel to a book I read last year, so I wanted to talk about both.

I first read Crazy Rich Asians last year. It tells the story of economics profession Rachel Chu who travels to Singapore with her boyfriend Nick Young for a wedding, and to meet Nick's family. Rachel  doesn't know that Nick's family is in the top 1% of wealthiest people in the WHOLE WORLD.  What follows is a fun family saga and peek into what it must be like to have unimaginable wealth. This is a super fun read for any lover of fashion and travel: lots and lots of designer name drops, and the book takes you from NYC to Singapore to Hong Kong and London and Paris.


China Rich Girlfriend, released earlier this summer, is the sequel to Crazy Rich Asians. Rachel and Nick are back, and so are a host of new characters. This books stands alone, but it does make references to the earlier book, so I recommend reading both. They are such fun reads that it really won't take a lot of time to get through them. I can't talk about plot too much without giving away plot points from the first book, but lets just say that the sequel is even more wild than the original! Perfect summer reads!!!


So what are you reading this summer? 

No comments: