Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Product Testing: Clip in Hair Extensions

So around this time last year, I experimented with hair extensions. The extensions I used at that time were the Jessica Simpson wavy clip in extensions, and although they looked really pretty, there's pretty much NO WAY I could get them in unassisted. And, as much as I know N loves me, I also know with 100% certainty that there is NO WAY he's going to help me with this. In an effort to get more length, and the sort of luscious volume Hollywood promises (via extensions of course), I decided to take the plunge and go for the "real" thing. I did some research on bonded hair extensions- the kind that get glued to your hair- and quickly decided against it. For one, it really bothers me that there would be something stuck to my hair, and second, I've heard that the weight really damages your own hair. I've also been told they're a bit of a pain to take care of, in that you have to be very very careful when washing and styling your hair. All of this just sounded like too much hassle, and so I decided to investigate the next best thing- clip ins!

Now, you can go ahead and buy your own clip-in human hair extensions, but if you go this route, I recommend you have your stylist do your extensions for you. My fabulous stylist Michelle at J. Romer Salon created a set of 4 pieces just for me- they're even dyed to match my hair color. The pieces include one wide piece that is fastened with tiny clips in line with my ears, a second wide piece that goes under my real hair right around my crown, and then two thinner side pieces for volume. The first time I had them put in was Jump Back Ball, and Michelle put them in and styled my hair, which you can see here:


I absolutely loved the look, but the real test would be if I could put them in on my own at home. I gave it another try this past Friday, and although I don't have any pictures, I'm happy to say it was really easy to get them in!! Here are the tips that Michelle gave me that were really helpful:
1. Make sure your own hair is a little dirty (at least a day post-washing), and if not, make sure you use some mousse to help give it texture.
2. Make sure you tease your own hair right where your extensions need to go- it helps them stay secure
3. Take good care of your extensions. Since they're real human hair, you can style them just as you do your own, but be careful when washing (light gentle shampoo and conditioner) and let them air dry. I know its a little gross to have bits of hair hanging in your bathroom, but the hairdryer may cause flyways.

There you have it- an easy, no-commitment, relatively inexpensive (compared to the bonded extensions) way to change your hair up and give it some serious oomph factor!  And really, who doesn't love a little extra OOMPH!!!

6 comments:

Charlene said...

I did the glued in extensions one year (out of boredom and lack of patience for growing my own hair out). They were okay - didn't love them, didn't hate them. It was a lot to take care of too especially when it came to styling. I like the option of clip-in though...I may need to try them sometime!

Allison M. said...

my hair is too short for these but I can't wait until it's longer so I can clip them in.

Jack said...

clip in hair extensions

What are the variations between video in plug-ins and tresses wefts? What are their pros and cons of each? Would plug-ins or tresses wefts be better for you? How do they increase and become thick hair? We help you to discover the solutions.

clip in Hair Extensions said...

I love these product, it looks so natural. They last forever and they blend in perfectly with my natural hair color. LOVE IT!!!!

Unknown said...

It’s nice that you were able to put on the clip-in hair extensions on your own. They look good on you too! Thanks for sharing some hair care tips as well.

Elnora Touchstone

Tara Day said...

I’ve made several attempts before I was able to clip in my hair extensions perfectly too. I was aggravated at first, but I never gave up until I understood how it works. Afterwards, everything became easy and enjoyable. Practice does make perfect. Hehe! ;)