Monday, November 22, 2010

Shopping local in Cleveland on Black Friday

So, what are you doing on Friday? Are you waking up early to go shopping? I did that a couple of years ago, and I figured out that as much as I love shopping, the early morning Black Friday thing just isn't for me. I'm usually sleepy and my shopping juices aren't flowing, and there's people with reindeer ears and walkie-talkies, and all the madness just makes me cranky. So, over the past couple of years, I've either skipped the Black Friday thing all together, or I end up shopping late in the evening. This year, however, I'm going to try something different: shopping local!! Most of the boutiques don't open until 10:00 am anyway which is PERFECT for sleeping in and grabbing a wonderful mimosa laden brunch before hitting the stores.

I've come up with a little local shopping tour, and I will post updates on Twitter and Foursquare (find me, I'm cleshopaholic on both!), so feel free to join me on my shopping tour!!

I'm going to start with a stop at the NEW AND REVAMPED Room Service, now at 2078 West 25th Street in Ohio City. I can't wait to see the new space, AND its also the return of Made in the 216. I went to my first ever Made in the 216 this summer and I ABSOLUTELY LUUURRVEED IT! I can't wait to go again! If you're never been, its essentially a pop-up store that features apparel, jewelry, bags, and other accesories designed and created exclusively by Cleveland artists!

Next, I will be in Tremont, at Banyan Tree and Evie Lou. Evie Lou has not yet decided on its Black Friday specials (yet), but it will be open from 10:00 am- 9:00 pm. I've blogged about Evie Lou before, and I can't wait to visit again. I'm fairly certain that I'm going to end up buying stuff for myself here, but hey, self gifts are very important too! Banyan Tree will be open from 11:00 am- 9:00 pm. Any purchase in excess of $150 made at Banyan Tree on Black Friday Weekend makes you eligible for 10% off your first purchase in December.

Depending on how I feel, I will then head over to Coventry in Cleveland Heights to visit Brigade and Blush Boutique. I haven't heard anything about any Black Friday specials at Brigade, but its my go-to place to buy gifts for N. They do a great job merchandising, and I've never gone wrong getting N a gift from there.  Blush Boutique is hosting a sale and trunk show Black Friday weekend, and will be open from 10:00 am-midnight on Friday. You get 40% off from 10:00 am- noon and 25% off from noon- midnight. There's also a happy hour from 7 pm - 9 pm, and an accessories trunk show from 9 pm- midnight!

I urge you to buy at least one item on your holiday shopping list from a local store. We're lucky to have some great stores that feature some  fantastic merchandise, and you're guaranteed to gift something absolutely unique! Are you up for the challenge?

3 comments:

Tina said...

I just discovered the "Shop Local" function on Etsy. It's a great way to support local artists!

http://www.etsy.com/shop_local.php?ref=fp_nav_local

Heather said...

Yes!! I'm definitely buying my gifts from the local boutiques. I can't wait (b/c I always end up buying for myself, too)!!

r said...

Don't forget Bsz Biz.

Bazaar Bizarre Cleveland (east) 20+ vendors
13010 Larchmere Blvd
Cleveland, OH 44120
Friday, November 26 noon-8:00 p.m.
Saturday, November 27 noon-8:00 p.m.

The larger of the two shows will again take place at 78th Street Studios, the same building where BazBiz Cleveland got its start in 2004.

Bazaar Bizarre Cleveland (west) 80+ vendors
1301 West 78th Street
Cleveland, OH 44102
Saturday, December 11 noon-9:00 p.m.
Sunday, December 12 noon-6:00 p.m.
http://www.bazaarbizarre.org/cleveland.html

And the Last Minute Markets
http://www.clevelandhandmade.com/market/