Monday, May 10, 2010

Mmmmmmm Pizza

I'm really excited about this post, and I would really appreciate your feedback, particularly if you live in the Cleveland area.

PIZZA CHALLENGE!!! I luuuuuurve pizza. Its hard to believe, but growing up in India, pizza was very difficult to find, at least until the late 80s. I was a deprived child. Needless to say, I've made up for it over the past 12 years. I'm on a mission to find the best pizza in Cleveland. N and I have tried many, many pizza places, and here's the ranking I've come up with. Keep in mind, N and I have different pizza tastes, and my ranking order has no reflection on his views (he made me write this disclaimer).

1. Sunnyside Pizza at Bar Cento
2. Panini's on W 6th (N strongly disagrees with this one)
3. Angelo's in Lakewood
4. Edison's in Tremont (they have a parmesan crust, and the pies are served with honey on the side. Sounds wierd, but trust me, its fantastic!)
5. Papa Nick's Pizza on Clifton and W 116th-ish
6. Guys Pizza
7. Alesci's downtown on Huron
8. Big Guy's Pizza
9. Geppetto's
10. Rascal House

So here's where you come in. I'm looking for your opinions on the best pizza in Cleveland. Feel free to disagree with my choices; pizza is a very personal choice, and I wll not be offended if you disagree with mine : ). Please leave me your opinions even if you don't live in Cleveland; I hope to visit you soon and compare your favorites to mine.

Here are the only two criteria:
(a) The pizza place cannot be a national chain (no Donato's, Papa John's etc)
(b) Pizza must be the primary food served (so even though I enjoy Lolita's pizza, I don't consider it a "pizza place")

Let the pizza wars begin!!

3 comments:

Doggoddess said...

My number one choice in Cleveland is Deweys Pizza. They have one location in Lakewood and one in Cleveland Heights. They also are by far the best makers of calzones.

You should also haul your ass a little further down the street into Rocky River and sit down at Danny Boys. They have a Frank Sinatra themed restaurant with limited seating but the pizza is worth the wait. Don't bother with appetizers because the pizza will fill you up. The bread sticks/rolls are to die for and the salads are amazing too.

I think you covered some of my other favorites. Let me know what you think and I'll be happy to join you for any of your future pizza adventures!

Dina said...

I also agree, Dewey's Pizza in lakewood is great!

CLEshopaholic said...

Next on the list of pizza to try will be Dewey's and Danny Boys. What kind of crusts are we talking about; thin and crisp, slightly doughy? I'm surprised no one commented about the lack of Little Italy pizza. In hindsight I would put Mama Santa's at 9, move Geppetto's down to 10 and bump Rascal House out.